Wednesday, September 7, 2011

OUR OWN STRANGE MAN (a sketch)

The winter chill pierced his

tattered coarse blanket which refused

to part from his naked body.

He exuded certain warmth,

Which the grey blanket

Fully absorbed.

Both his body and his blanket

Existed the other way round.

And for me,

The winter chill never just pierced but

It also, especially groped and pinched me…

Oozing foggy clouds from my mouth.

And my numb fingers grumbled and

Sought refuge into some warm

Contour of my well muffled form.

And, “Ah, Respite!”

In those mumbling grumbling

Ways of mine, his credulous composure

Never missed my eye.

People pass him, paying grim glances,

While the Lord spends gleefully

His grubby blanket days.

His spectacular round belly

Seemed to me a like donation box

For all the curious gazes he lives off.

Graduating winter cold saw him

More and more stark and contained.

Absolutely, a beggar in meditation

With his poverty and peace.

His holy abode is the lonely, humble,

Local Bus stop erected over the footpath.

Yes people, god is finally accessible!!

All that his ravishing presence seeks is

To mark our consciousness with

A mark of an indelible vermilion, in the

Color of his peculiar physicality.

Vermilion is passé, so he must have

Spilled sunshine over me.

And caught me in a trance.

To me he resembles the humid summers

Settling thick, rendering opaque, like glue.

His nakedness is often candid in the

obvious glow of Innermost visions.

Oh, his Earth face-

Oval, partly dark, highly vegetated,

Sometimes moist with salinity and

Inhabited by baser organisms.

Only this Earth, that he resembles,

Seems happier!!

Nature undergoing regression, maybe??

His gait isn’t madly masculine.

But Gullible and sublime.

Tells the protrusion of his belly,

“he ate himself to Salvation”

And I reply, “it reflects”.

On this the blanket gives way

And the belly button wriggles,

in possible anticipation, I presume.

His feet chuckle, I almost hear

Something in a dust laden,

Mud soaked voice.

Then his matted locks

break into an unsettling dance.

And his ruffled beauty is like magic.

Every moment growing in freedom,

Just like his own insane will.

Freedom, like himself

deconstructs structures and shrines .

Shrines are like this local Bus stop,

Humble yet Resurrected.

And gods are like him

Discomforting!

Himself, like freedom

He moves on and on and on

From here to there to nowhere!

Neha Tickoo, 2011